Monday, February 26, 2007

Traditions - No. 1

I thought that I would periodically share some of our Skousen Family traditions. Tradition number 1 is pizza night. Every Friday night is pizza night at our house. The kids look forward to it with much anticipation. They all LOVE pizza. Having pizza on Fridays didn't used to be so complicated when we lived in the Valley, we would just order in or throw a frozen pizza in the oven. Here in St. Johns it isn't quite that simple. For starters, there really is not anywhere to order from. We have one little American food restaurant that serves pizza but it doesn't deliver and it isn't open on a regular basis. Small town business owners tend to operate when it's convenient for them, not everyone else. I guess that you can order pizza from FINA (the local gas station) if you call what they sell pizza. They don't deliver either. The third option is buying a frozen pizza at Wilbur's our supermarket. Did I say SUPERmarket. Sorry, I just meant market. If you plan on doing that be prepared to spend a ridiculous amount of money for it unless it's on sale. In that case don't plan on purchasing one because there won't be any left on the shelf. In lieu of all of the obstacles we face living in Saint Johns we or rather I have decided that instead of ridding our family of this fine tradition, I would start making pizza myself. (A scary proposition when you have a husband that is a die hard Barro's fan!!) After many attempts(some successful & some not so successful) Scott has rated my pizza making skills at better than Peter Piper Pizza but not as good as Barro's. He says that the secret is in the sauce. My kids on the other hand are so grateful to be back in St. Johns because they love my homemade pizza. I think that they like it better for several reasons. 1. They get to help make it. 2. We always make at least two pizzas which guarantees that at least one will be their favorite - PEPPERONI! 3. Doesn't your food always taste better when everyone touches it and breathes on it and sneezes on it... sorry, I guess I'm getting a bit carried away. Anyway, here are a few shots of Pizza night last Friday. (Someday I'll get the round pizza thing down) Remember, if you ever visit on a Friday night you know what is on the menu.

1 comments:

Bella said...

Hey Christy!
Do you want a cookbook with Italian pizza? I'll find one for you. Italian pizza is thin, so not very filling. Therefore,a person usually gets a whole pizza to himself. Toppings are usually simple (not too many different toppings on one pizza. Usually just 2 to 4 toppings). They're very yummy. One popular kids' pizza has potatoes on it -- actually, it's FRENCH FRIES. May sound weird, but it's good.
-Sandi