Sunday, January 21, 2007

Blessings



Often it is hard to see your blessings in the midst of trials. I have been trying to focus more on the blessings in my life lately. We have had several blessings during this last week. First, we are going home!!! It is official, we are going home (to Saint Johns) and Scott gets to come with us! I have really enjoyed being around our extended family for the last six months but its time to get back to a more normal life. We will be heading home on February 3rd. The second blessing came when we asked to bless Ethan. Scott's transfer to plant site came after the first Sunday of the month so we had to get permission to bless Ethan on a Sunday other than Fast Sunday so our family could witness it. Scott blessed Ethan on January 14th right before we had to give our hello and goodbye talk in church. (See what they make you do when you ask to bless your baby when it is not fast & testimony meeting!!!) The preparation involved in getting my talk ready truly was a blessing to me. Our topic was service and I was humbled and chastened by the things that I studied before I wrote my talk. I haven't had a calling since the end of July. (with exception of visiting teacher) Instead of focusing my time and energy on others for the last few months, I've been weighed down with the problems and possibilities that my family and I face. I really needed and enjoyed what I was taught or reminded of as I prepared my talk even though my stress level was high. Of course, the highlight on Sunday was Ethan's blessing. He was blessed with many wonderful things including the strength to resist temptation, the ability to seek after friends who choose the right, a desire to serve a mission, and the opportunity to marry a worthy daughter of Zion in the Temple. After Sacrament we had a breakfast for the Johnson side of the family at my parents house and then a dinner at Scott's parents house in the evening for the Skousen clan. All in all the day turned out great. The last blessing came on January 16th when I officially started training Terri Wilkins. She will be the new secretary for AZ Firebird Contractors, Inc. and will do a terrific job. Even though working full time right now is taxing, it will be well worth it. I'm going to miss my job and the sense of accomplishment that it brings to me but I am grateful that I can now focus all of my time on my most important role, mother. As you can see, we truly have been blessed. What a great way to start the New Year. I will continue to try to reflect on the positive instead of the negative.

1 comments:

Anna said...

I love the picture with all your kids...Ethan has such a cute smile. I'm glad that you got to bless Ethan while you were still around all your family. Baby blessings are the best. I'm bummed that you are leaving on the 3rd cause I'm actually coming to town that weekend and was hoping that I could catch a minute with on that Sunday! I'm coming for a sisters weekend and am staying a few extra hours Sunday afternoon to try to catch some friends before flying out. Maybe next time?!?