Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Special Delivery!

The Announcement: I did it!!!! I went into labor all by myself! (This is a major accomplishment for me. I've been induced 3 out of 4 times) For those of you who have not heard, we welcomed a beautiful baby boy into the world on December 17, 2006 at 1:48 p.m. He weighed in at 8 lbs. 11 oz. and was 21 3/4 in. long. My little sister, Haylee, insisted that his initials be L. B. Skousen so that we could call him Line Backer Skousen. She came up with Ludwig Beethoven and Leonardo Beethoven. After much deliberation, Scott and I finally settled on Ethan James Skousen. (Haylee, you'll just have to call him Line Backer Skousen!)


The Details: My labor and delivery went very well. I awoke having contractions at 2:30 a.m. on Sunday morning. By 5:15 a.m., after showering, packing my bag, pacing the floor, trying to sleep some more, working on the baby announcements, doing laundry, & cleaning up the house, I just couldn't take it anymore and was ready to go. Since it was my Mom's birthday, and she had expressed how extremely tired she was at her birthday dinner the night before, I decided to call and wake my brother. He didn't answer his phone! So I waited a little longer, cleaned out the truck, walked some more, and finally broke down and called my Mom at 6:15 a.m. She came over as fast as she could. Scott & I arrived at the hospital at 7:25 a.m. By 8:30 they had done all the paperwork and decided to check me. To my dismay, I was still dilated to a three! (I'd been a three for at least a week) At that point, they told me that my doctor was not on call and that they would probably send me home. I was devastated. The nurse said the doctor on call (Dr. Lori Mc Neal) suggested that I walk the halls for 40 more minutes. She said she would check me at 10:00 a.m. to see if anything changed before sending me home. At that point, I was tired, in pain, and quite frustrated. I kept trying to explain to the nurse that I have a fairly high tolerance to pain and that if these contractions didn't hurt, I WOULD NOT HAVE COME IN! I'm sure that they've heard that before because she just looked at me and smiled. Needless to say, I walked (and prayed) for 40 minutes and when she checked me, I was at a six! Hallelujah! They were going to keep me and I was going to have the baby today! By the time they got everything situated and my epidural in (Yes, this time it worked. Another huge blessing!) I was dilated to an eight. Dr. Mc Neal broke my water and a little while later, our very special delivery arrived.

3 comments:

Anna said...

WOW! Congratulations. We especially love the name ETHAN! :)

Anna said...

Oh and by the way...the old pictures on my blog are ones that I have scanned in. I used to take pictures of the picture...and they turned out pretty well, but I like the scanned version much better. Just wanted to answer your question.

Melanie Deaton said...

Hey, now you know what it is like to have a Deaton size baby! Lucy and Emma were both 8 11. We love our pudgy newborns! Congrats!!